I think I’ve invented the best cake recipe ever. Ok, I probably didn’t invent it, but I invented this recipe – and I promise you this is the best.
Banana and chocolate. Chocolate and banana. Quite possibly the best combination ever. Banana and chocolate crepes = great. Banana and Nutella toasted sandwiches = definitely the best ever breakfast. But what could make it better? Perhaps taking my absolutely brilliant banana cake recipe and adding in Nutella? Oh yeah, that’ll do it.
Banana cake is brilliant. It’s the best way to use up old, black and squishy bananas who’ve seen better days. And it contains fruit – so I think it counts as 1 of your 5 a day (if you eat enough of it…).
- 4 large / 5 small black / old bananas (don't use ripe ones - it doesn't taste as good)
- 100g butter
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 140g light brown sugar
- 4 heaped tbsp Nutella
- 2 tbsp milk
- Mash up the bananas with a fork in a mixing bowl
- Add in all other ingredients - bar the milk and nutella - and stir until it forms a smooth mixture
- Heat the milk and nutella in a pan over a low heat to form a smooth, chocolatey liquid
- Pour the nutella into the mixing bowl and roughly fold in. Don't mix in completely as you'll want it to form a marbled mixture
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake for 30-40 minutes at 180C / bottom of the roasting oven in an AGA. Leave to cool before removing from the tin and eating (if you can resist).